Thursday, February 4, 2010

Quick lasagna

Between the latest ice storm and the flurry of work that it caused (at work), I never got around to posting this week's menu.  It didn't matter since I don't think we stuck to the menu once this week...  Oh well!  Tonight's dinner was ON the menu, just not on tonight's square.  I was actually thinking ahead and made lasagna for tonight.  I just have to cook it.  If it works out, this one should be a giant time-saver.  It probably took me 20 minutes of active time last night to put it together because I boiled the noodles while I put P to bed.  Then I'll put it in the oven for 20 minutes, put in the bread 1/2 way thru (store-bought this week) and I'll throw some salad greens in a bowl and be ready to eat by the time I get my clothes changed.  (Yes, it can take 20 minutes to change my clothes!)  I think this meal will have 1 fresh ingredient (mushrooms) if you don't count the salad... :(  but its not TOO bad! 

My lasagna (modified from my MIL's recipe):

Lasagna noodles
1 large container cottage cheese
1 can sliced olives (or whole, sliced)
Fresh mushrooms
1 can basic spaghetti sauce
2 tsp garlic powder
6 cups shredded (not finely shredded) mozzerella or italian blend cheese

Layer all ingredients, bake at 350 for 15 or 20 minutes or until cheese is browned

For the garlic bread, I'd love to buy a frozen, pre-buttered loaf for a dollar and a half and stick it in with the lazagna but I can't do that to our health!  I cut the number of bread slices I need and mix a tsp garlic powder with about 1/4c margarine until it is thoroughly mixed.  Then I spread that thinly on the slices and bake for 10 minutes.  We actually like this better than the frozen stuff anyway and it costs the same or less than the frozen bread.

I doubt P will eat the salad greens (spinach and spring mix 50/50) but I'll make his 'chopped' salad minus the greens.  He eats chopped tomatoes, olives, mushrooms and cheese. 

And now I'm going to go find a snack b/c writing about dinner has now made me hungry! 

No comments:

Post a Comment