Monday, February 8, 2010

Light at the end of the snow tunnel

Its Monday morning and I am monitoring the news websites for updates on the latest winter storm.  It was snowing so hard I couldn't see across the street when I came in but this should be a mild storm.  Mild...  and I couldn't see across the street...  Thats the kind of winter it's been.  Generally, the only thing good about February is that we are a month closer to spring but I just found one more reason to be excited about February... Seeds were available to buy this weekend!!!  After a nightmare grocery store trip on Saturday (truly horrible!  there was a yelling scene in the produce section & cart jams so bad you literally could not move at times) - P and I ventured to Walmart and parked next to the garden center where I happened to notice a small aisle of seed packets!!!  Hooray!  The first batch is in and the selection was still pretty good!!  I'm trying to pace myself- I'm sure I'll need a pick-me-up again soon... when the next storm hits...  This time I got green beans, snap peas, yellow squash and grape tomatoes. 
I have to confess... I also sketched out the garden plan this weekend.  Its probably way too early for that.  Maybe not, though.  Right now, the plan is to add cayenne, jalapeno & bell peppers outside and cilantro, italian parsley, spinach and iceberg lettuce inside.  (lettuce will be in a container outside some of the time).  That leaves a considerable amount of room in the garden (I'm only doing about 5 plants of each this year), so I'm trying to decide if I am going to put in a root garden in the fall with onions, carrots & garlic or try melons again.  I need to find out if I can do both.  I won't plant the roots till fall so I might be able to do early melons in the spring/summer and then plant roots over them but I dont know if that will work.  I guess that means I have some research to do!  :)  See, February is looking brighter!

No comments:

Post a Comment