Wednesday, February 10, 2010

In Love With A Rice Steamer

I'm trying a new recipe for Pork Chops Dijon tonight.  It looks quick and easy.  We'll see how it goes! 

Did I mention that I am loving my new rice steamer?  I did NOT believe we needed another appliance to store but B insisted that if we were going to be eating rice 4 times a week, we needed a rice steamer.  I wanted to encourage the healthy eating habits so I conceeded and, sure enough, he was right!!!  The rice is SOO much better from the steamer.  It comes out the way it's intended.  White and some brown rices come out slightly sticky.  We haven't tried other varieties of rices but I'm sure they will come out just right.  There are specific directions for each variety- white rice takes less than half the time to cook as brown rice and less water.  Basmati rice has way different procedures.  We like the brown rice so we put in the extra time.  It works for us right now because B gets home earlier than me and can start the rice but I dont know how we'd do it if we got home at the same time.  It takes at least 1 1/2 hrs to cook the brown rice.  And I do love that we can pare down another processed food item.  (not that instant rice is very processed...)    We like the rice well enough that we have had it as an evening snack several times.

No comments:

Post a Comment