Dare I say it? The goal that started this whole healthy eating overhaul thing has been attained! Back in October, B's blood pressure was way too high. So I took that as a challenge to get our family eating better. We started with the low-sodium DASH diet. That was a great start but it needed to be a lifestyle change for the changes to take effect in the long term. So I decided we'd all cut out sodium as much as possible. Now we don't bring the salt shaker to the table, I use (literally) a pinch of salt in recipes instead of the usual teaspoon, and I started using fresh and dried herbs to flavor our food. I know that isnt a lot, but the salt really does add up. The most pivotal piece of information on our quest to low-sodium eating was found in a diet article. It suggested never buying a product that listed more than 5% in the daily sodium allowance column (per serving). I was amazed at how sodium laden our foods were, even the ones we thought were healthy. So now, 4 months later, we are living a low-sodium lifestyle. We occasionally eat something that has 10% in the sodium column, but it is rare, and we make adjustments as needed. (If we have a higher sodium lunch, we'll make sure dinner is lower, for example.) When I tried to buy products with (actual, not label touting) low-sodium, I found it nearly impossible. So thats how the whole-foods thing came along. I started really reading labels and realized how truly awful most of the processed foods are.
So that brings me to the next nutrition goal: reducing sugar. It seems like diabetes is the new normal for everyone. I'm only mildly surprised when someone tells me they have been diagnosed with type-2 diabetes or are borderline diabetic. Thats not right. With diabetes on both sides of our family, our whole family is predisposed to the disease. I had Graves disease as an adolescent which gives me a heightened risk. We need to work NOW to avoid diabetes. So we will. It should be an easier feat now that we are on a whole food diet and the foods we eat are already more nutritionally friendly but there is definitely some sugar to eliminate! Today I have no idea how I can live without sugar in my coffee, and I don't know how to pack a spill-proof drink for P that doesn't come in a pouch or box but I'll bet I can figure it out! Hopefully 4 months from now I'll be writing about how we conquered the sugar habit too!
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment