Monday, January 25, 2010

Wiggle Room

OK its Day 2 of using the menu and, surprise, surprise, I'm already changing things up!  Oh well!  Plans are always flexible.  We did eat tacos for dinner last night but the pork loin wasn't thawed in time to roast so I threw in a chicken breast I already had thawed.  It was just P and I so I didn't feel too bad substituting a less attractive piece of meat.  The vegetables were good, though.  I didn't try the baked apples.  None of us were in the mood for dessert so I will use the apples for snacks this week. 
Today, instead of pork sandwiches (since I didnt roast the pork on Sunday), I substituted Big Burritos for lunch.  I really like these!  I used a wrap-size flour tortilla with added omega-3's and put mexican rice, black beans, and an assortment of other ingredients in the middle and wrapped them up like a burrito from Qdoba.  I thought it turned out pretty well.  I used fresh cilantro and squeezed in just a couple of drops of lime juice and thought it was pretty good.  You definitely have to steam the tortillas well before putting everything in or the ends will split when you try to fold up the burrito.  I put mine in a medium-size plastic container to take to work so I can microwave it.  I put B's in foil.  He can either put it on a plate to warm it or throw it in an oven at the restaurant.  P has a stomach bug so he got an assortment of low-sodium crackers and some leftover potatoes and carrots.  I'm interested to see how B liked the burrito.  For me its a keeper.
Tonight we're still on schedule to have tilapia, I just don't remember what recipe I had in mind.  Its on the counter.  I was smart enough to thaw the filets I'll need.  and the veggies are cleaned, chopped and ready to go in the wok.  I shouldnt be pressed for time but I am planning on using a steamer bag of brown rice I found at the store this weekend.  The listed ingredients are 'brown rice and water'.  So if it tastes good and really cooks in 2 minutes, I'll keep it on hand for busy nights.  Its $1.25 for 2 cups so its not cheap but sometimes time takes the priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment