Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Drying Spices & The Mini Farm

I'm slowly replacing my dry spices and tried drying my own recently.  I'm LOVING it!  I keep fresh parsley and cilantro on hand anyway and I needed to replace the dry parsley so I chopped up the fresh very finely and spread it thin on a small plate.  I set it up high in the kitchen out of direct sunlight and water spray and it dried beautifully in two days.  I ended up with about an ounce of dry parsley and I need about 2 1/2 so I've got another batch drying now.  I think they charge about $2 for that at the store!!!  Cilantro, onions and mushrooms are up next! 

Oh- also, I need to start planning this year's miniature farm.  I'll need to buy seeds for the garden soon.  I'm seriously debating whether i'll start them indoors or not.  Either way, I need to buy them when there is a good selection.  So far I've decided on: italian parsley, cilantro, spinach, romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, (some) cayenne peppers, (some) jalapenos, bell peppers and grape tomatoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment