Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Challenges

Even when I was a stay-at-home mom I didn't have time to plan out and cook elaborate meals from scratch.  Now that I work I have less room for error.  I still insist on healthy meals for my family, though.  We eat, essentially, no processed food.  I guess I should define processed.  Fresh fruits and vegetables whenever possible.  Frozen when fresh isn't available.  No canned veggies.  Dry beans when possible.  Occasionally I will use canned fruit but VERY sparingly.  Animal products are tougher as I do not live on a farm.  I prefer butcher-fresh meat but I do take advantage of my husband's restaurant discount with a national food supplier and buy frozen chicken breasts and tilapia filets in bulk.  I don't love that we eat a lot of sodium-glazed meats but I try to compensate in other areas.  My favorite place to shop is my small backyard garden but, again, I don't live on a farm.  I just do the best with what I have available. 

The Budget:
I might as well start here as it plays just as big a role as nutrition in our household.  Like everyone else, my money is spread thin and I have to make the very most of my grocery dollar.  I know that buying fresh produce is not the cheapest way to eat.  However, I also know that a diet of canned ravioli and ramen noodles will lead to serioius health problems with serious health care bills.  Bottom line: I have $100/month to spend at our local warehouse club and $65/week to spend on groceries.  This has to cover food and toiletries for two adults and a 2-yr old; 3 meals a day, 7 days a week.  (we rarely PLAN to eat out... more on that later)

The People:
I'm feeding my husband, my son and myself.  My husband is a restaurant manager and is around food all day long.  He is a great cook but hasn't cooked a meal in our house in years.  Thats totally fine with me, I love to cook!  But that does mean I have to be creative about what I put on the table.  He manages a BBQ restaurant so brisket, ribs and pulled pork are OFF the menu!  My son is a very agreeable 2 year old but he IS 2!  Currently he dislikes 'slimy' food.  If it makes a mess or leaves a residue on his fingers (he rarely uses a fork), he doesnt eat it.  He loves plain pasta, breads, and cooked vegetables.  Today.  (who knows about tomorrow!)  My husband and I were raised on steak and potatoes and he began his career in a steakhouse.  We eat meat!  But he has blood pressure issues.  I try to keep our sodium intake low (1500 - 2000 mg/day) and serve at least two vegetarian meals per week.  I... have dietary issues... I am allergic to aspartame and have a high need for potassium.  Iron and soy interfere with a daily medication.  I also plan on feeding 1-4 guests per week.  We are very close with my husband's family and have a good friend over a lot.  These are rarely planned visits and I like to feed them when they are at the house.  So I try to keep their tastes in mind when I plan meals, whether I know they will be with us or not. 

The Food:
We're food people.  We like to eat and we like to eat good food.  A huge challenge of mine is replicating restaurant entrees.  I know, it doesnt REALLY matter if my chicken alfredo tastes EXACTLY like Olive Garden's chicken alfredo but that's the goal.  When a family member or friend loves a dish, I try to replicate it and serve it when they'll be around. 

Time:
Including dropping of my son and picking him up from our child care, I commute an hour to work and an hour back home.  This leaves me with about 4 hours to cook dinner, connect with my family and get ready for the next day.  It works but there is no room for time management mistakes.

So these are the challenges to my cooking.  I know- I make it sound like a battle!  But really, isn't it?  Isn't that all we hear about these days?  Battling the obesity epidemic, the divorce epidemic, absentee parents...  Its kind of a challenge when I think about everything I should be addressing with mealtimes.  But I know generations have raised healthy, well balanced families and with the right discipline, and a whole lot of prayer, we'll do it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment